This recipe is healthy, simple, and packed with flavor.
Less than $1.50 per serving as well!
Stuffed Chicken Breasts:
3 chicken breasts, boneless/skinless (about 2 pounds)
6 lightly packed cups of raw spinach
3 medium Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
4 garlic gloves, minced
2 Tbs basil pesto
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Bread crumb coating:
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs parmesan
1 Tbs plain bread crumbs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp parsley
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Roughly chop spinach. It doesn’t have to be perfect, it just makes the stuffing easier.
3. Combine garlic, tomatoes, pesto, salt, pepper, and onion powder in a mixing bowl. Add spinach and stir until mixed throughout.
4. Trim fat from chicken breasts, if needed.
5. Place one breast at a time into a bag and pound until flat. Repeat for each piece of chicken.
6. Spread spinach and tomato mixture across 2/3 of each piece of chicken. Roll toward the end without filling.
7. Place stuffed chicken into a glass baking dish, cover with foil.
8. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
While you are waiting on the chicken to bake, mix together all of the bread crumb coating ingredients (except the oil) and set aside. If you are going to serve your chicken with pasta, go ahead and put the water on the stove to boil as well.
9. Remove chicken from the oven after 45 minutes, brush with oil and sprinkle with bread crumb coating.
10. Place back in the oven at 350 degrees, uncovered, for another 5-10 minutes.
(Be sure the internal temperature of your chicken is at least 165 degrees before serving.)
We served our chicken with linguine, but it could easily go with salad or rice as well.
Cost of ingredients:
Chicken – $5.40
Spinach – $0.50
Tomatoes – $0.50
Pesto – $0.40
Remaining on hand ingredients – $2.00 (I stink at this part)
Total cost – $8.80 (for six servings of 1/2 breast each)
Cost per serving – $1.47
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
(Just for chicken with breading, does not include pasta)
Total Fat 6.7g
Saturated Fat 1.3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.1g
Total Carbohydrate 5.7g
Dietary Fiber 1.3g