As 2012 comes to an end, I decided I really need to get my fitness and health goals written down and defined in a way that I can measure them. I can’t track my success if I don’t really set specific goals for myself. I want to be able to SEE the changes and progress, just like I do with my monthly boot camp assessments. My goals for 2013 are listed out below:
1. Run a 5k for my birthday in February. I already paid for Run the Reagan on February 19th, and start officially training next Sunday!
2. Run a 10k by Memorial Day. I need to do some research as to what events are going on around then, especially since that’s right smack in the middle of a busy business time. I’ll be checking around and will pick a run before the 5k in February.
3. Run a 15k by Labor Day. Again, like #2, I need to do some looking in to local races. I plan to find a run and register before the 10k in May.
4. Track my food. All of it. Pretty simple, I need to keep up with everything I eat. I am bad to graze, and I pick up a lot of extra calories that way.
5. Attend bootcamp at least 3 days a week. I love going, but sometimes I let life get in the way. We have class four days a week, and I want to be there for at least three of them. This is something I need to plan out with the hubby so we can be sure our schedules don’t conflict.
6. Lose 15 pounds by Easter. That’s 13 weeks away. Between counting calories, drinking lots of water, and exercising regularly, I’m pretty sure I can make this happen.
7. Drink 10+ cups of water each day. I currently drink about 5 pots of coffee a week. Yikes! I need to replace my morning coffee(s) with water, and of course drink lots of water through out the day as well. I’ll be tracking my water with the same app I use to track my food.
8. Do yoga 3 days a week. I have a lot of muscle tension in my lower back and poor core muscles, and I need to really work on building my strength and flexibility. I’d love to do something more than 3 days a week, but I know that I won’t stick with it if I try to jump in for 6 days a week right away.
9. Get to bed before midnight. I’m a night owl. I love to stay up late, but that means I struggle to get out of the bed and really moving in the mornings. I love to get up and go for a jog right away, but when I don’t go to bed on time, I don’t get up to jog. That’s gotta stop. New bedtime for this mama!
10. Join an online health/fitness forum. I learned from my bootcamp experiences so far that having a support system is super helpful for me. I’ve heard awesome things about the Mamavation Sistahood and this week I’m jumping on board and introducing myself in the Mamavation forums. I love the idea of being part of an online group of mothers that are busy with life just like me, and that understand where I’m coming from! Having a group of folks that are cheering you on can be a huge help when you’re trying to make big life changes!
I do have other personal goals for the year, but these are my fitness goals for now. I’ll be making small goals for myself here and there as well, like increasing my situps and pushups for bootcamp assessments each month. I’m looking for a good way to share my food diary on here, as that’s another way to help keep myself accountable. I’ll still be updating on Mondays, but instead of “Healthy Living,” those posts will now be #Mamavation Monday instead. For more inspiration (or maybe motivation), you can also check out what other #mamavation moms are doing to stay fit on Twitter.
Did you set some healthy living and fitness goals for yourself in 2013? Share them below!